Our Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Awareness
For more than 100 years, 1919 Investment Counsel has piloted through social, cultural, economic, and technological change. And our work isn’t done.
We pledge to actively foster a culture of inclusion, diversity, equity, and awareness throughout our firm.
We commit to working with one another to build an inclusive environment that empowers our associates to bring their full selves to the workplace. We will continually examine existing systems and behaviors to identify blind spots, and engage with associates to advance inclusivity at our firm.
We commit to making measurable and meaningful progress in diversity at every level of our firm. We strive to continue building a firm culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the distinct and unique voices of our associates.
We pledge equitable access to opportunities for growth and advancement across all levels and functions. To do this we must honestly assess and understand barriers, both conscious and unconscious, that stand between us and our intentions.
We commit to pursuing DEI education and awareness at all levels of our firm. We strive to make a positive, sustained impact at all levels of our firm, including in partnership with organizations working towards a more just and equitable society. We will continue to invite experts to address topics of diversity, including, and accountability in order to foster dialogue and awareness with our firm.
Our IDEA Mission
The mission of IDEA is to enhance and uphold a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture at 1919. The IDEA team helps shape our firm’s diversity and inclusion actions and execute related projects in partnership with our valued associates, clients, and broader community.
Our IDEA Purpose
IDEA gathers a varied team of 1919 associates to fulfill its stated mission and emphasize the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion at our firm. Our work is rooted in continuous learning, with a deep understanding of our current strengths and areas for improvement. Ongoing analysis – both quantitative and qualitative – informs our actions.
Our Strategic Priorities
- Infrastructure: Prepare, document, and communicate the firm’s Commitment Statement to inclusion, diversity, equity, and awareness.
- Education: Create a Learning Journey for managers and associates at all levels to emphasize our inclusive culture.
- Talent & Equity: Emphasize clarity, communication, and transparency around career paths, promotions, and raises.
- Community Partnerships: Increase our commitment to our communities in areas of social justice, access, partnership, and education.
- Communication & Brand: Transparently share our IDEA journey with our trusted clients and partners. Align 1919 communication and brand family with our IDEA Commitment, including our website, marketing collateral, and social media.