Founded nearly a century ago, 1919 Investment Counsel, LLC provides customized equity and fixed income strategies for institutions, family offices and high net worth individuals. Our roots date back to 1919 when Scudder Stevens & Clark, our predecessor firm, pioneered the Investment Counsel Industry.
Headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, the firm managed approximately $19.3 billion in assets as of June 30, 2021.
OUR INVESTMENT APPROACH
The cornerstone of 1919 Investment Counsel’s investment process is proprietary, fundamental research with an emphasis on high-quality companies, risk management and diversification. Our investment team of over 30 investment professionals averages over 30 years of experience with exposure to every market cycle. We offer an array of separately managed account solutions specifically tailored to our clients’ unique needs.
OUR INVESTMENT STRATEGIES
|• SRI/ESG Fossil Free Equity
|• SRI/ESG Catholic Values Equity
|• SRI/ESG Equity
|• SRI/ESG Balanced
|• SRI/ESG Full Duration Fixed Income
|• SRI/ESG Intermediate Duration Fixed Income
|• Quality Growth Equity
|• Global Growth Equity-ADR
|• Disruptive Innovation
|Fixed Income Strategies
|• Taxable Full Duration Fixed Income
|• Taxable Intermediate Duration Fixed Income
|• Intermediate Municipal Fixed Income
|• Intermediate Government/Credit Fixed Income
45 YEARS STRONG IN SRI
1919 Investment Counsel is an experienced socially responsible manager with a history that can be traced back to 1975. Our rich heritage of providing separately managed accounts tailored to our clients’ specific SRI and ESG mandates, informs our rigorous, research- driven investment approach.
Utilizing a number of social guidelines including religious, employment practices and environmental criteria, our team constructs portfolios that meet the specific mission and investment mandates of the endowments, foundations, corporations, pensions and individuals we serve nationwide.
As of June 30, 2021, 1919 Investment Counsel managed approximately $19.3 billion in assets, of which approximately $2.3 billion is for socially responsible investors. 1919 Investment Counsel provides discretionary separate account management services for affluent individuals, families, trusts, foundations, endowments, and institutions.
WITH OFFICES IN
Baltimore • Birmingham • Cincinnati Houston • New York • Philadelphia San Francisco • Vero Beach
1919 SRI/ESG Catholic Values Equity Strategy
The SRI/ESG Catholic Values Equity strategy aims to achieve superior long-term appreciation through rigorous stock selection based upon proprietary fundamental analysis combined with a top-down approach to portfolio construction.
A multi-dimensional investment approach is utilized to evaluate companies from both SRI and ESG perspectives while avoiding investments in companies that exhibit business practices that are not consistent with the teachings of the Catholic faith and the guidelines established by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Composite Performance is shown both gross and net of advisory fees. This information complements the full disclosure presentations on the following pages. All investments involve risk of loss and past performance is no guarantee of future results. Investments in non-U.S. companies involve risks in addition to those ordinarily associated with investing in U.S. companies. These additional risks are magnified in emerging markets. This material illustrates 1919ic investment capabilities and is not a recommendation of any particular investment strategy.
- 1919 Investment Counsel, LLC (“1919ic” or the “Firm”) claims compliance with the Global investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) and has prepared and presented this report in compliance with the GIPS 1919ic has been independently verified for the periods January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019 by ACA Performance Services, LLC. The verification report(s) is/are available upon request. Verification assesses whether (1) the firm has complied with all the composite construction requirements of the GIPS standards on a firm-wide basis and (2) the firm’s policies and procedures are designed to calculate and present performance in compliance with the GIPS standards. Verification does not ensure the accuracy of any specific composite presentation. The Firm maintains a list of composite descriptions and policies for valuing portfolios, calculating performance, and preparing compliant presentations.
- The SRI/ESG Catholic Values Equity Composite contains fully discretionary, fee paying institutional portfolios predominantly invested in domestic companies based on 1919ic equity Accounts in this Composite contain restrictions on investments based on Catholic values. Prior to January 1, 2019, the Composite was named the SRI Catholic Value Equity Institutional Composite. The minimum account size for inclusion in this Composite is $1 million.
- For comparison purposes the Composite performance is measured against the S&P 500 Index, a widely recognized, unmanaged index containing 500 S. industrial, transportation, utility and financial companies. Index returns do not reflect deductions for charges and expenses and an investor may not invest directly in an index. The Index is used for comparative purposes only and is not intended to parallel the risk or investment style of the accounts included in the performance shown. Portfolios are actively managed using specific strategies and the Index may contain securities different from those selected by the Firm.
- Results are based on discretionary accounts under management, including those accounts no longer with the Firm. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. The U.S. Dollar is the currency used to express performance. Returns are presented gross and net of advisory fees and include the reinvestment of all dividends and Gross of fee performance results reflect the deduction of commissions and other expenses that may be incurred in the management of the account but does not reflect the deduction of advisory fees. The highest advisory fee is deducted quarterly from the gross performance to arrive at the net of fee performance. The annual Composite dispersion presented is an asset-weighted standard deviation calculated for the accounts in the Composite the entire year. The advisory fee schedule is as follows: 1.00% on the first $3 million; 0.70% on the next $7 million; 0.50% on the next $30 million; and 0.40% on all assets over $40 million. Actual investment advisory fees incurred by clients may vary. Additional information regarding policies for calculating and reporting returns is available upon request.
- 1919ic considers equity composite performance errors of less than one absolute percentage point (1%) to be non-material. As a result, in the event of such an error with respect to reported performance for a period of one year or more, 1919ic will not necessarily notify clients of the error.
- The 3-year annualized standard deviation measures the variability of the Composite and the benchmark over the preceding 36-month
This presentation may be shared only with prospective clients known to be able to meet the Composite’s minimum account size referenced in Disclosure (2) above.
The 1919 SRI/ESG Catholic Values Equity Strategy seeks long-term capital appreciation by investing in companies that offer both an attractive investment opportunity and that exhibit business practices that are consistent with the guidelines published by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
1919 HAS A RICH HERITAGE OF INVESTING ACCORDING TO THE GUIDELINES OF THE UNITED STATES CONFERENCE OF CATHOLIC BISHOPS.
SRI CAPABILITIES AND EXPERTISE
At 1919 Investment Counsel our multi-dimensional approach to socially responsible investing has been refined over the past 45 years. Our research- driven, fundamentally-based investment approach is conducted by a team of 12 investment professionals which includes 3 social impact analysts who utilize a rigorous research process from an SRI, Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) and Catholic values perspective.
ABOUT OUR SRI/ESG PROCESS
Our comprehensive process includes:
- Negative Screening: Eliminating companies whose products and/or activities do not meet the guidelines established by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- Positive Impact Research: Employing our proprietary positive-impact analysis to identify companies that are contributing positively in terms of our socially responsible guidelines and mandate.
- Corporate Engagement: Proactively communicating with the management of our portfolio companies to encourage positive social change.
Companies in our portfolio are then monitored to ensure they meet both our socially responsible and fundamental criteria on an ongoing basis.
Disclosure All investments involve risk, including risk of loss and there is no guarantee investment objectives will be met.